Tuesday 6 March 2007

The Lives of Others / Pan's Labyrinth

I went to see The Lives of Others over the weekend and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since. Part of my motivation for going to see this movie is that it beat out Pan's Labyrinth for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars. I loved Pan's Labyrinth and couldn't imagine that after it won three other oscars that it lost Best Foreign Film to another movie. I wanted to see that other movie and decide for myself if it was better than Pan's.

Equal. It is equal to Pan's Labyrinth. They are two incredibly different movies and both very beautiful in their own way.

The Lives of Others is a German movie about life in East Berlin in the mid 80's. A Stasi investigator who has been assigned to spy on a couple finds himself absorbed in their lives. That was pretty much all I knew going in and I am glad I didn't know more.

Pan's Labyrinth is a Mexican film about fascist Spain in 1944 where a young girl finds distraction from her unpleasant life in an eerie fantasy world. It wasn't what I expected going in to it and again I was glad that I didn't know more.

Both films are so much more than the plot lines that I have given here and I recommend seeing them. Pan's Labyrinth in particular needs a big screen so see it in the theatre before it goes away. It is still playing all over BC but who knows for how much longer so go see it soon!

Here is a link to where PL is playing in BC
http://www.mytelus.com/movies/theatres.do?prov=BC&movieID=66477a&title=Pan%27s%20Labyrinth

The Lives of Others is only playing downtown, North Van and Kelowna so not so easy to get to depending on where you are but this one isn't so crucial to be seen on the big screen. Although if you are anything like me you have a hard time giving all your attention to rentals. I always putter, move around and get distracted when I rent movies. It's one of the reasons I go to so many in the theatre. If there is something I really want to see, it's best if I can see it in the theatre.

No comments: