Monday 23 April 2007

Game 7 - Go Canucks!

I made an allegation on Saturday while watching game 6, about my suspicions of the NHL to 'fix' the series so that they often go to game 7s. I even invented some statistic (in a room full of hockey lovin canadian men) that something like 90% of playoff series games go to game 7. It's my own little conspiracy theory. I have since learned other people suspect this as well. I think the NHL likes to squeeze out every dime they can from their fans and seven games is so much more profitable than 4 games.

Well for a couple of heartbeats nobody disputed my statistic. (You can make up anything you want when the only people who have the information to dispute you are completely focused on what it is you are lying about.) It's a lovely, fun trick. I should have tried some other lies out too.

"Did you know they make the uniforms entirely out of hemp." oddly this is the only lie I can think of right now.

I thought I had gotten away with my fake statistic and would wait another couple seconds to confess that I actually had no idea what I was talking about when one of my male friends slowly turned to look at me with one eyebrow raised. He gave a slow, drawn out "uhhh, noooo...." and then proceeded to viscerate my stat with some much more authentic and believable sounding stats.

He may have made his up too but I'm guessing he didn't...he isn't the type. I guess this kinda blows my conspiracy theory out of the water but I think I'll hang on to it for a bit just for the sake of it.

So, game 7 tonight. I hope we win. I love the camaraderie of the playoffs. The city is full of banners and flags, hats and jerseys. It would be a shame to be out of it so soon. I'm not ready for my bandwagon ride to be over yet!

Go Canucks!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha you should see my conspiracy theory involving the NHL. I figure that Buffalo or New Jersey didn't want to play Toronto or Montreal in the playoffs, and so they allowed New York Islanders to sneak into the playoffs. And that's not all!

But yea, actually not too many series go to Game 7, but usually at least one does each round.