Saturday 7 April 2007

I'm back!

I am feeling good again. Really, my feeling blue was just a short stint, which was nice. I kept reminding myself about being so lucky and blessed for my family, my health, my friends, my wonderful lifestyle and for all of the things that I have. It's a good form of therapy when you've got the blues. The trick is that you really have to say it and talk about it to other people. And don't just pay it lip service but really mean it. I am lucky! I am blessed! Don't focus on and talk about the negative - and when you inevitably do talk about the negative - do it briefly and then move on to the good!

Here is a story of what happened to me on Thursday after hearing about my taxes and my fridge and my friend's health.

When I went up to Safeway to buy ice, I got into the express checkout behind 3 women. The woman directly in front of me was visibly in a hurry. She kept looking over at the other checkouts to see if they'd be quicker and sighing loudly. I was just happy to be feeling better and out in the world. The first woman in line was having trouble with her debit card and it wouldn't read so they were trying different ways to swipe it. The woman in front of me actually uttered an "oh geez, come on" and looked at me, I think hoping for some support in this. I gave her my best isn't it great to be alive today smile. To make matters more interesting the woman directly infront of the cranky lady had more than the limit and was a senior and moving slowly.

As we moved forward I felt calm and grateful to just be. We got to the point where the cranky lady was able to unload her groceries onto the belt and she did so with attitude, moving the older woman's groceries to fit hers on. As soon as she set her now empty basket down on the ground, a lovely young man who worked there came over to me and said "I can help you right here miss." To which I smiled and said "oh thank you so much".

I was walking out into the sunshine before the cranky woman even had her first item rung through.

The Secret says that when something bad happens don’t let it change the course of your day. One bad thing doesn’t have to turn into a bad day.

Line ups don't move faster if you are cranky and impatient. In fact they seem to move slower and actually might be slower. Yesterday TT and I were at Loomis buying some art supplies and the guy in line behind us was one of those awful people that I've been talking about and actually lipped off to the sales associate and the other customers waiting in line. All it did was piss everyone else off and fluster the clerk. A flustered clerk does not make a faster transaction.

Patience really is a virtue!

No comments: