Monday 4 June 2007

Cookies

Ok, so I didn't make any lemonade, but I did bake some great cookies.

Do you remember that episode of Three's Company where Jack enters a cooking contest and has to dress up for the taping of the cooking show because the contest was for women only. He makes cookies but gets sabotaged by the woman cooking beside him, who ruins, spills, or throws away his ingredients. He starts just chucking ingredients in and asks Janet and Terri if they have anything on them that he could put in cookies...candies, sweets, whatever. Terri hands him a box, he bakes it into the cookies and it turns out they were cough drops.

Baking these cookies reminded me of that episode because I changed up the ingredients to suit me and it felt like I was just tossing anything in.

They turned out chewy and not too sweet and so yummy that I am going to share the recipe here.

3/4 cup butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup sunflower seeds

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease baking sheets.

In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, egg and syrup on medium speed until creamy. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture, mixing on low speed until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake in center of preheated oven for 8 - 12 minutes or until golden around the edges but still soft in the center. Let cool for 10 minutes leaving them on the baking sheet and then transfer to racks. Eat. Enjoy.

*What I did with my batch was to leave out the pecans and sesame seeds and add in chocolate chips and rice crispies. I did 3/4 cup of choc chips and 1/3 cup rice crispies. I think you could probably modify this to suit whatever you like.

Anyways that's my post for today.

No comments: