Wednesday 27 June 2007

The Power Within - John Assaraf

I feel like of all the speakers at the conference, John Assaraf was the one speaker that I got the least from. It was all things I had heard from him before. He told the same stories that he told on Oprah and Ellen and Larry King and on The Secret DVD. I felt like I'd heard it all before.

Having said that, I still took notes and here's what I've got.

.....I have written and deleted this paragraph twice. I am finding it hard to paraphrase John Assaraf because he didn't speak my language. His words didn't really reach me. In looking over my notes, I find that I am bored with them or can't figure out how to rework them in my own words to make sense of them. It's interesting, because the message is the same as Jack Canfield's, but it doesn't hit home for me the same way. It really goes to show you how we all respond differently to different people, language, techniques. I have learned (finally) to never presume that what is ideal for me would be ideal for everyone.

Out of my 2 pages of notes, 5 things stand out for me as worth writing here.

Law of gestation or incubation. Everything takes time. People often plant the seed of change but then dig it up far too early and are disappointed that nothing has changed for them. Change takes time. Plant the seed and then give it time to grow. Nourish it, support it, love it, be grateful for it and give it time.

Blind spots. We all have blind spots. We miss things that are right in front of us. (Once JM and I were walking out of Safeway and JM started laughing and turned to me and said "Are you serious? I can't tell if you are both being funny or totally missed each other" I had absolutely no clue what he was talking about. Apparently, my sister had walked right past us about 10 feet away and neither her or I saw each other.) There are opportunities all around us whether we see them or not so start looking for them.

Dream big. Dream bigger than you think is big. Imagine things for yourself that you have always thought as unattainable. Visualize it and focus on it. The more clear you can get the better. You will start to come up with ways that you can make it happen.

Change is the only constant. Change is either going to happen to you or you can be the one to make change!

When you are interested in something you will do what is convenient. When you are committed to something you will do what it takes.

So I guess I did get some valuable things from John Assaraf after all. I have always chosen the convenient route before so this time, I am committed. I am committed to my own success.

John Assaraf Website

No comments: