Saturday 18 August 2007

Playing with fire!

This is pretty much a picture post because I don't think I could describe this as well as I can document it with photos. As I wrote yesterday, my friend E and her fire dancing troop, The Cinderbellas threw a fire party on the beach last night. It was so much fun. The only thing missing from these pictures is the sound it makes. It is this crazy loud whooshing noise that is so cool to hear while you are watching.

These two ladies are using fire poi. It's fire on the end on a chain.


This is one of the Bellas eating fire with another dancer in the background.



Here are three Bellas, E is the one with her back to the camera. They are wearing fire fingers here. This is what E coaxed me into trying out by the end of the night. I practiced with glowing poi (no fire - just LED lights) and conked myself in the head twice. There was no way I was trying the fire poi.



Here is E again on the right. Her specialty and favourite thing is fire hooping.

E, fire hooping! It is brilliant to watch. Quite beautiful and fascinating.


I had to add this picture because E is fire hooping AROUND HER NECK! I would be bald if I tried this.

These just make such cool pictures. I actually took nearly 200 pictures of all the fire and glow activities and have done my best to narrow it down to a few of my favourites to post here.

This is just a brilliant picture. E, fire hooping again. I got close enough to her for this shot that I could feel the heat off the hoop.

Ok, so E did convince to to try on the fire fingers and so here is a blurry shot of me pretending to eat fire. As you can see I was only willing to get the flames this close to my face. I do have to say though that it was a fun, cool experience and I can see the appeal. It's kind of addictive. When my fire burned out, I was disappointed but not yet willing to try more difficult or scary equipment.

Here's a (slightly) clearer picture of me with my fiery fingers.



Me again with my fiery hand, coming at JM, who is taking the picture!


If you ever get the chance to go to a fire party and try something out, I highly recommend it. It's a cool experience!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think these are cool photos, cool concept