Wednesday 7 November 2007

Argh!

On Wednesdays, I work in Abbotsford at 7pm. To avoid rush hour traffic, I often leave quite early and make my way out there in steps. I'll lunch with friends in Burnaby, have coffee or dinner with dad in Langley, shop and/or run errands in Langley or Abbotsford.

Today I had nothing planned. No lunches, no coffees, no errands, no dinners, no plans. I even forgot to bring a book. Because I had no plans, it was hard for me to leave my cozy apartment. I left too late and got caught in traffic. It took me nearly an hour and half just to get to Langley. I grabbed a sub and drove to the college. I ate my lonely dinner while flipping through the newspaper and listening to talk radio in my car. I looked at my watch. Two and a half hours until class starts.

I started my car and drove to Superstore. I wandered around. I tried on some clothes and a pair of boots. I looked much more seriously at Christmas ornaments than I ever need to. I checked out every book they carried and most of the childrens toys and clothes too. I looked at my watch. An hour and fifteen minutes until class starts.

I got in my car and headed back over to the college, stopping on the way to fill up my gas tank. I parked and went up to the 2nd floor study area. I flipped through the newspaper again and did the crossword puzzle. I looked at my watch. Half an hour until class starts.

I stared at the ceiling, made some lists in my notebook and doodled some Cooptown ideas. I looked at my watch. 15 minutes until class starts. I felt exhausted.

I packed up my bag and headed down to the classroom to set up the chairs and get ready. I walked into the room and the student and my teamer were already there and set up. I sat down and my teamer turned to me and said, "There's a test and it's the whole class. Do you want to go home?"

5 minutes later I was back in my car (oooh was I sick of being in that car) and started the long, wet, dark drive home. I listened to good sing along music and made the most of it.

I left home at 2:30 and got home at 8:00. I can't think too deeply about it because it would make me crazy. I'm just glad that this isn't a typical experience for me. Ususally, if I'm going to be quite early, I bring books or homework or something to do. I generally don't even mind the drive but today was tough. I'm glad it's over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww ... days like that suck. Thank God they're not every day! When a day like this happens I'm always glad to go to sleep and wake up to a brand new day and start. :) ... very refreshing.