Sunday 18 November 2007

Sundays and scary movies

I love days off.
I should qualify that.
I love days off after working a full week and being busy. Whenever I have lots of days off in a row I get bored and depressed. As it stands though, I am working crazy hours and have grown to adore my weekends and Sundays especially.

I have been up for about 2 hours now and I am still in my pyjamas. I am sitting at my computer, sipping some lovely tea and I've been watching movie trailers on apple.com for the past hour as well as catching up on Wil Wheaton's blog and Prairie Ox's blog too. I am thinking about making some breakfast and having a shower. I might go to a movie with J and T this afternoon, but I haven't actually decided whether or not I'm going to go yet. They are going to see No Country For Old Men and I can't decide if it's too violent and scary for me or if I'll be alright.

I used to like violent and scary but the older I get the more squeamish I've become. I terrify quite easily now. Plus after seeing The Ring, which was the last scary movie I saw in the theater, and it scared the bejesus out of me, I just decided that my imagination is active enough without introducing horror to it as well. I can scare myself pretty easily without the added help of gory, suspenseful and chilling images. Last spring when T and I went to Van Dusen Gardens, I walked around imagining dead bodies and trees coming to life, oozing blood and trying to snare me with their branches.

I can't walk through a forest without scaring myself. Or drive down an empty highway at night without imagining something dreadful happening. I even picture finding dead bodies when I walk along the beach. I have seen too many horror movies as it stands.

But here's the thing. No Country For Old Men, is a Coen brothers film. I've enjoyed pretty much every Coen brothers movie I've seen. Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother Where Art Thou. I can always shield my eyes when the violence starts up or gets to be too much. I am curious about it and the one review I read of it, the reviewer was pretty much drooling over how much he loved the film. You can read it here if you're curious.

I guess I've got about an hour before I have to decide. I'll let you know what I do.

Update
Well I went to the movie. I was actually alright. It was violent but not gory. It was suspenseful but not scary. I'm withholding any review because I still need to think about it. As of right now, I liked it, but didn't love it. There were certain things and scenes though, that I loved. Javier Bardem did an incredible job of playing one of the scariest characters on film, ever!

No comments: