Saturday 1 March 2008

A new way of living.

I am trying something different for the month of March. For the next 31 days, I am going to live on a very strict budget. I have been following a budget since last October and it has been working really well for me. The thing is that I still seem to find away around it and buy things that I don't necessarily need.

Years ago, in a past life, I used to be a moderate shopaholic. I fell into that category of people who spend money to feel better. I had no budget and spent every dime that came my way. If I felt lonely, blue or bored, I'd go shopping.

For the past 5 or 6 years, I have learned to live within my means or at least much, much closer to them. And now, since October, I am not only living within my means but getting smarter and smarter about it. That leads me to now.

For the next 31 days, I am going to follow my budget down to the last penny. I will not be shopping or spending any extra money on anything. I do have a 'play' fund in my budget where a percentage of my income can be spent on anything I like, so I am not going completely without. The plan is though, to not spend any of that money on 'things'. I like going to movies and out for dinner and drinks with friends. I want my play money to be used toward experiences not things.

I have regarded my budget as a guideline up until now. If I ran out of 'play' money, I would just dip into another account to fund my need for a new pair of boots or a dinner out with friends. For March, there will be no dipping. When my play money runs out, that's it. It will get me to think creatively about how to spend my time and my money.

My play fund as of right now has $34.65 in it.

No comments: