Friday 23 May 2008

A break, a dent, a blip.

My car window got shattered today. A seemingly random act of vandalism. I like to imagine that it was a spinning karate kick in the air that took out my driver`s side window. Only because it would mean that my window went out in a blaze of (someone's) glory.

It happened at work and it just is what it is. The police don't really care, it just adds another number to their stats. Campus security shrugged and told me to call the non-emergency police line. As an afterthought, she wrote my name on a scrap of paper to put in their files.

My dear friend Emily was a rock. She took care of cleaning away the broken glass for me while I called ICBC. They also didn't care....at least the recording I listened to didn't seem to care.

Luckily the weather was lovely and I would have driven with my window rolled down anyways. Emily and I shared a blonde moment when I said I wonder what would happen if I tried rolling the window up and Em told me to try it and see. We both stared dumbfoundedly for a few seconds when nothing happened and then Emily clued in, "oh yeah, it already is up." (am I allowed to make blonde jokes? I never know.)

We took my car directly to a repair center. They vacuumed up the glass and did a beautiful job of taping up my window. I was able to make an appointment for tomorrow to get it repaired.

I had been doing a great job of staying zen up until I was told they could put plastic over the window for me. I had a moment though where I turned to Em and said "Now I am one of those people with a plastic window." When I mentioned to Lisa that I had a plastic window, even her initial reaction was "you can take the girl out of Surrey but you can't take the Surrey out of the girl." (I am pretty sure Lisa and I are allowed to make Surrey girl jokes)

To be completely fair, I need to tell you that the plastic/tape job is wonderful. At first glance it isn't remotely obvious that my window is not just a window. It`s much nicer than the safeway bag and silver electrician`s tape I had been imagining.

Now, the crappiest part of all is that it is going to cost me $312 to repair. Three hundred and twelve dollars and I didn't even get to witness the stunning scissor kick that took it out. That's a lot of money for absolutely no reason. Makes me feel like that much more of an adult. I`d like to shake the teenage boy (because come on, we all know it was a teenage boy who did it) and teach him the value of a dollar.

No one was injured, nothing was stolen, and all said and done it`s just a window in just a car. I can choose to get upset or I can choose to let it go. It sucks that I am out $312 but it won`t break me, it`s just a dent in my bank account and in the grand scheme of things it`s just a blip on the radar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find this post interesting, probably in part because I work for an insurance company. You're right, the policy, security and all those people probably don't care too much, to them it's a random act that happened and they're just concerned with whether or not they are liable for the incident.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to sympathise with people or situations we don't know; possibly because we're so busy. But it certainly makes it harder to deal with when the police and such don't seem to care much about what happened.

I'm glad though you had your friend Emily to help you out and that the $312 won't dent your budget too much. It sucks that you are having to pay for someone else's carelessness but like the saying goes karma can be a bitch, and probably more likely than not the person who did this to your car will get 'paid back' somehow.

Not that you should feel vengeful mind you, it just happens in general.

Anyway, hope you're doing well otherwise. Take care :)