Tuesday 6 January 2009

A battle of wills at 5:30am

Getting up this morning was particularly hard. About half an hour before my alarm was supposed to go off I had a cat racing around my head and leaping over me while howling to the moon. Did you even know that cats could howl? Well they can, and it's a loud and disturbing noise.

The pattern (game) seems to be that when I ignore him for the leaping and howling he stands at the blinds (venetian and old which equals heavy and loud) and paws them until I react. It is the most grating sound since Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber making the most annoying sound on Earth. The blinds and the cat are mere feet from my head and also just out of reach. He has it down to a science.

My best counter ploy is to catch him in mid-leap over my head and force him into a cuddle. I roll on to my side with him tucked under my arm and I hold him there against me. He knows he's trapped and he isn't happy but makes no attempt to get away. Until I start to drift off to sleep again and then he slowly (very slowly) starts to manoeuvre his way out. Just when he thinks he is home free, I tighten my grip and reel him back. It is torture for him I am sure. But it is also my best revenge. Those blinds, oh my dog! So loud and obnoxious!

My plan for stopping this behaviour of his is to sleep with the blinds open high enough that he can't paw at them. The howling and leaping there is no cure for aside from locking him out of my bedroom door which I am not willing to do. It is his apartment. I just pay the rent.

1 comment:

Next in Line said...

We have got to stand up for ourselves. They are the worst roommates ever. We wouldn't let anyone else couch surf and make a ruckus every morning. I am going to start charging moumee.