Sunday 22 February 2009

It's Oscar Day

Tonight is the 81st Annual Academy Awards and as per our usual tradition, my sisters and I will watch them together. We fill out a ballot predicting who will win what and it makes watching that much more exciting. As I mentioned before, I have never won. And I am the one who sees the most Oscar nominated movies and I research the ones I don't see - animated short, live action short, foreign film etc. I read about them, I read reviews of them, I look at stills from them and when I can, I watch clips from them online and yet it never seems to give me a leg up over my sister, Stefanie, who picks based on the name of the film and a gut feeling about which one might win.
This year, I have seen a lot of films and I am not lifting a finger to research the ones I haven't. Well, that isn't entirely true, I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly and they had an article about the odds of who is likely to win and I used that as a guide for movies I haven't seen.

From the Oscar nom list, this is what I have seen;

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married
Changeling
Doubt
Tropic Thunder
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
WALL-E
The Duchess
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Wanted
Iron Man
Presto

And because I love writing lists as much as I do I am going to also list the movies I haven't seen (not including the categories for Foreign Language, Documentary, and Short Films);

Frost/Nixon
The Visitor
Frozen River
The Wrestler
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Australia
Defiance
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda

Next up - My Oscar pics!

No comments: