Wednesday 4 March 2009

Jim Henson

I am sitting here listening to some old Bowie from the Labyrinth soundtrack and it's making me smile. I watched this movie again recently with a friend who had loved it as much as I did growing up (possibly even more since she could recite things from it that I had long forgotten). It is still a great movie. Granted, it's dated and doesn't hold the wonder that it did when I was 12 but like any Jim Henson project, it is magical, fun and timeless in it's own way. Plus you've got David Bowie in spectacular hair and make up (hair bad, makeup good) and a stunning 15 year old Jennifer Connelly rounding out the muppet-filled cast.

I watched another Muppet Movie recently. It was a post Jim Henson one and it just wasn't the same. It had it's moments but it was missing the Jim Henson touch. He just had it, whatever 'it' is, he had it. We were so lucky to have him and the legacy of muppetry he created and left to us. I think I am due for a Jim Henson-a-thon...I am feeling very nostalgic for the original muppets and the crazy shenanigans they got into.

No comments: