Tuesday 20 October 2009

Grandpa

I have no idea how to start this post. I want to write about my grandpa and I would love to do it eloquently but I'm not so sure how to do that right now. Grandpa died on October 10, 2009 and even though we were somewhat prepared, it still happened suddenly and far too quickly.

The Wednesday before he died, I was at work and had forgotten to pack a lunch for my two hour break. On my way to work, I talked to my mom, who was at my grandpa's, and she told me to come over for my break. I could eat there and get in a quick visit with mom and grandpa. It was going to be a full break - driving to grandpa's from the college, having lunch and a visit and then driving back to work in time for my next class but I decided to do it anyways.

I was able to leave my first class a bit early and the drive to grandpa's was super quick and easy. I got to spend about an hour and a half with mom and grandpa. He sat and visited with us and then helped his neighbour Mel, who had come over to grandpa's to fix something of gpa's. As I left, I kissed my grandpa and said "I'll see you soon, Grandpa. Love you." He kissed me back and said "Love you too honey." I had no idea at the time that it would be the last thing my grandpa would say to me.

The next day, Grandpa went into the hospital and right when they got him into the ambulance, grandpa slipped into semi-consciousness. He had been at home with both of his daughters and their husbands, and a couple of grandkids having a birthday dinner for one of my cousins. The last thing he would have been really aware of was family. He was surrounded by people who loved him dearly.

By the time L-Dub and I made it to the hospital that night, Grandpa was fully unconscious and being moved to palliative care. They were keeping him comfortable. For the next day and a half Grandpa was never alone. We sat around his bed, held his hand, kissed his forehead, talked to him, laughed, cried and bore witness to the last days of his life.

In the end, I held grandpa's hand as he took his final breaths and considered it an honour to be at his side as he passed into heaven. We were all there praying over him and for each other. I miss him so much more than I expected to. He was truly a great man and has left quite a hole in my heart.

Love you Grandpa. Miss you.

No comments: